We strive to make the process of renewing your CNA certification as intuitive as possible. This page contains important details about what to expect before, during and after you apply for renewal.
You have two options to renew your certification credential:
See our important dates.
Before you renew
Please note that you will need the following:
- Your nursing licence/registration number
- A credit card (MasterCard or Visa)
Review the renewal fees. If you are not a CNA member, join CNA and save on certification renewal and receive many other member benefits.
When you are ready to renew
- Sign in to your CNA account.
- Click My Account in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select the Certification tab on the left.
- Select View my Certification — if it’s the year your certification is due, you will see options to renew or apply for inactive status.
- Complete your application and pay.
What happens after you apply for renewal
- We will contact you after you submit your application
- You will receive emails to confirm your application and payment have been received.
- The review of your application will begin.
- Check the status of your application and perform other functions in your CNA account.
- We will review your application
If you meet the renewal eligibility criteria and your application is complete:
- For candidates renewing by continuous learning: After your application is approved, you will receive a confirmation by email with access to your official confirmation letter.
- For candidates renewing by exam: You will receive an email from CNA to confirm your eligibility to renew by exam. Within 10 days of receiving your eligibility email, you will receive two emails:
- One email with instructions to set up your exam-writing appointment date. There are two exam-writing options available: at home with a proctor via ProctorU or at a test centre with Meazure Learning. Consult the email for instructions and next steps.
- One email from Meazure Learning giving you access to an online practice test for your specialty. The test offers 100 questions related to your specialty and offers the same computer-based testing (CBT) environment used by the Meazure Learning exam centres.
- After your renewal is approved, your new certification term will be valid for the next five calendar years.